Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which we may make commission from. As always, we only recommend places and products we love!
Experiencing Menbakaichidai, Kyoto Fire Ramen
As most know, ramen is a dish that can be found all over Japan. Unlike the packages that you can get at the grocery stores in the United States – traditional ramen in Japan is quite fresh, savory, and delicious!
Each region in Japan has their own style of ramen and it can even vary from restaurant to restaurant in a city. Before arriving in Kyoto, Japan we had heard rumors of a ramen restaurant that gave their customers a unique experience while dining and it involved FIRE! So naturally, we had to check it out.
When we first arrived at Menbakaichidai, Kyoto fire ramen, we weren’t quite sure what to expect. After waiting in line outside for a short while, we were seated at the counter of this small, yet cozy restaurant that is located close to Nijo Castle.
We were asked to put our belongings in the baskets that were strategically placed below our seats. Miyazawa-san, the owner of Menbakachidai proceeded to be the perfect host as he joked with us and began to put on a show while preparing our food.
After the initial preparations were made, Miyazawa-san saw us get out our phones to record the heated production that was about to take place. He quickly motioned for our phones and placed them on a selfie stick behind him in the kitchen and started to record our video of the flaming fire ramen!
As he poured the hot oil into the bowl of ramen flames erupted before us. But as quickly as they rose, they disappeared and we were left with a bowl of bubbling ramen almost ready to eat.
- If you have long hair you will be asked to pull it back in a ponytail so it is away from your face and the fire.
- Make sure you keep all parts of your body behind the counter as they are preparing your dish. We are playing with fire after all! 😉
- If you’d like to record your experience at Menbakaichidai have no fear! They have created the perfect way to do so and you’ll never be more thankful for a selfie-stick.
Who Wore It Better?!
When we finally had the opportunity to eat our dish, we were completely blown away. The combination of pork, green onion, noodle, and the broth had us feeling like we had gone to ramen heaven. Needless to say, Kyoto fire ramen is unlike any other ramen shops for the experience and the taste too!
READ MORE: 5 Days in Kyoto, Japan
Think you’d like to try Menbakaichidai, Kyoto fire ramen while in Japan? Here is some useful information:
- At this time, they do not take reservations. Be sure to show up early if you’d like to ensure you get a seat at the counter!
- Kyoto Fire Ramen has a combination of seafood and chicken-based broth. However, they do offer a vegetable soup option for those who are vegetarian. They also have Halal-friendly ramen for all guests who do not eat pork.
- Allergen Information: Egg, Wheat, Mackerel, Chicken, Pork
Address: 757-2, Minamiiseyacho, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto-Shi, Kyoto, 602-8153, Japan
If you’re looking for the perfect place to grab a bowl of ramen in Kyoto, this is your spot. Make sure to say hi to Miyazawa-san for us when you go!
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest!